One of the hardest things to do is to show ourselves, love. All too often, we treat ourselves really badly – the clumsy trip or the not getting something and it’s a yell fest of how dumb, idiotic, and stupid you are. I totally get that, I’ve been there, and I still catch myself doing it now.
Why does it happen? You wouldn’t speak to your best mate like that or a stranger, so why speak like that to yourself? Two Words… Inner Bitch! Yep, she’s the reason you are feeling undeserving, not good enough or worthy enough. She’s the one that has you feeling exhausted and filled with self-doubt and has a Rolodex (showing my age here!) of reasons as to why you can’t or shouldn’t.
The reason she gets so noisy is that she knows, you are too busy trying to do all of the things and keep everyone else happy to do things that light you up. She’s the one that makes you feel guilty for even thinking about having some ‘me time’ or SHOCK HORROR!! Spending money to treat yourself.
You need to recharge and take time out for yourself. One of the main reasons she gets so noisy, is you are exhausted. You would love to be able to sit down and do something for yourself, but you can barely find the time and have no idea what to do.
To help you, I’ve put together 15 ways to practice self-love and be kind to yourself. All you need to do is commit to doing just one… a “Just for today I will…” or “Just for this week I will…”
1 Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while! Nothing beats a good chinwag and a laugh with friends.
2. Pop a film on and have a manicure! Take your time, and make sure if you’re having nibbles that they won’t chip or smudge.
3. Watch a favourite TV Show or discover a new one! Netflix has made it easy to rewatch favourites or discover something new. Relax and have fun. (Quick Tip – If you know you will end up binge-watching, set a timer for the length of two or three episodes).
4. Have a long soak! As the Autumn nights draw in and the temperatures fall, nothing beats a long hot bath (or shower). Grab the wine and a book, relax, and enjoy!
5. Go to a Café for coffee. Now that lockdown is starting to ease, you can head out to your favourite Café and enjoy a latte or two whilst people watching or reading a book.
6. Take a walk. Walking is a great form of exercise and great for helping you think. It doesn’t have to be a big hike. A walk to the end of the street and back, or around your garden is just as good as a walk around the park. You can go with a friend or stick your favourite podcast or audible book on and go solo.
7. Make a favourite cake or pudding. No food is bad food, so this isn’t a guilty treat or something to avoid. If it makes you feel warm and happy then go for it!
8. Play a game. There are lots of free to play games online. You could venture into strategy games like Rise of Kingdoms or maybe discover the joys of Gardenscapes or Candycrush (Games I play and am not affiliated to)
9. Sunrise or Sunset? If you’re an early bird, venture out into the garden and watch the sunrise. If not, you can do the same at sunset. Just grab a brew, wrap up and head out into the garden.
10. Listen to a favourite song. Nothing beats dancing around to your favourite song or going all 80s DIVA with a hairbrush. This one can be done in 5 minutes for a quick pick me up or you can relax and listen to a whole album.
11. Local attractions. Most towns have a museum, gallery, or other attraction that you can visit. If not, you can find many online now that do virtual tours.
12. Window shopping. Go for a mooch around the local shopping centre or high street and see what’s on offer. Or you can do an online browse, type in something you are interested in and see what pops up. I’ve discovered a few gems doing this.
13. Take a nap. This is something I do regularly. It gives you a quick energy boost and it might stop the snacking during the day as you are giving your body the rest it needs.
14. Get arty farty! You don’t need expensive equipment or pens. Grab a notebook and doodle, mess around with plasticine, write a story. Who knows, you might discover a hidden talent!
15. Enjoy a cuppa! Make a brew and sit down with a good book or look out onto the garden. No rushing here, take time to enjoy the brew of choice.
All these ideas are FREE! Some you can do in 5 – 10 minutes others a little longer. There is even a couple that you can stack together! Hopefully, it has got you thinking about ways you can treat yourself, so that you can spend more time doing things that serve and light you up.
Make a list of the ones you love and add some of your own. This is NOT a bucket list of things you would love to do if… this is just a list of things you can pick from to show yourself some love once or twice a week or day to day.
How to love who you are Masterclass & Workbook
One of the hardest things to do is to show ourselves love. All too often, we treat ourselves really badly and end up feeling exhausted, with little or no confidence as we listen to the inner bitch, stay in unhealthy relationships and self-confirm feelings of being not enough, or deserving of a better, happier life.
Whatever your reasons for not showing yourself love, it’s time to start changing how you think and treat yourself. It’s time to show yourself the same love, you show others. Download my FREE Masterclass & Workbook to start your journey to a happier, confident you.
Fancy seeing you here! A big hello and a warm welcome if this is your first time here! I’m Sophie Paige, the lady (some say that’s debatable! 🤣) behind Raar HQ. Having lived most of my life being told I was worthless, useless, and would never be anything, I am on a mission, not to prove them wrong, but to show as many women as I can that they can break free from that and become this unstoppable force with a fierce fire, who allocates her fucks to the shit that matters.
There are stacks more to be found about how I can help and support you on the site, so have a wee nosy! You can get to know more ‘about me’ on the about page too! Don’t forget you can also find me on Social Media sharing the latest news from Raar HQ, hints, tips, help, and support that makes changing your story feel possible and that it’s not a hard slog or about making you all happy-clappy 🙄 It’s little steps leading you to a life filled with possibilities, hope, ups downs & everything in between!